A family member introduced us to this idea a few years ago and while the soup was a HIT! It was made with ground beef and a cheese sauce with heavy cream and grated cheddar, maybe some onions with the ketchup and mustard and that was about it. The high fat content made this soup very rich and though it was decadent, it also sat heavy in the stomach causing a little tummy-trouble.
I came up with a lighter version that is just as tasty, with the same cheese-burgery flavors, but doesn’t weigh you down. I swapped ground turkey for the beef, added vegetables like green pepper and celery and an unbelievably tasty and simple bean-based cheese sauce for the cheddar and heavy cream.
I made the sauce and soup from the same pot and pureed the sauce in the Vitamix so the only dishes were the one pot and blender.
To serve, you can top with shredded cheese, chopped pickles, even shredded lettuce and diced tomato for a full cheeseburger effect! I served mine over a BIG bowl of greens.
If you wanted to make this a Veterarian/Vegan soup, replace the ground turkey with Plant-based meat like Beyond Meat, chopped tempeh, tofu or chickpeas.
You will not need all of this sauce for the Cheeseburger soup, use the extra as topping for vegetables, filling for enchiladas or a cheesy dip!
- 3 cups cannelloni beans
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 T garlic, crushed
- 1/4 c hemp seeds (or Parmesan cheese)
- 1 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 t salt (to taste)
- 1/4 t white pepper (to taste)
- broth to water to thin consistency
- Heat butter and oil and add chopped onion. Saute to soften and add garlic. Saute 2 more minutes.
- Add onion mixture and all remaining ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth, adding water or broth slowly to thin the consistency.
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 2 T mustard
- 2 t steak seasoning (like Montreal Steak)
- 2 c broth
- 2 c “cheese” sauce
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: shredded lettuce, diced onion, diced tomato, chopped cucumber, shredded cheese or a GREAT BIG BOWL OF GREENS!
- Heat 1 T olive oil in large stock pot. Add onion and saute until beginning to soften. Add celery and green pepper. Saute until vegetables are beginning to soften.
- Remove the vegetables from the pot and set aside. Add another 1 T olive oil to the pan and add the ground turkey. Season with steak seasoning.
- Cook and crumble the ground turkey.
- When the turkey is completely cooked add the vegetables back to the pot. Stir in the ketchup, mustard and broth. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes and stir in cheese sauce. Stir to combine and cook on medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings.