We go through a LOT of bananas in our house. Each kid eats one after school every day, but they prefer them on the green side. So when the bananas begin to get spots as they ripen I peel them and store them in the freezer.
I’ll use them to make banana bread, muffins, smoothies or “ice cream”.
My daughter LOVES banana bread – really, all bread. When there is banana bread in the house she’ll eat that for breakfast. My standard banana bread recipe isn’t particularly high protein so I’m always trying to find ways to boost the protein.
Plant Works to the rescue! I added 2 scoops of their plant based vanilla protein powder to the recipe and *BAM* we have protein banana bread!
I don’t typically bake gluten – free but honestly, it’s the only flour we have in the house right now so that’s what I used and it’s delicious!
Protein-Packed Banana Bread
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (or 3 medium) ripe bananas
- 1/2 c buttermilk (see trick below)
- 2 1/2 c gluten- free flour
- 2 scoops of Plant Works Vanilla protein powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 loaf pans, or line with parchment.
- Mix sugar, butter, eggs, and bananas.
- *Buttermilk trick! For 1 cup of buttermilk required, use 1 cup minus 1 T milk of choice, with 1 T apple cider vinegar. Let it sit 5 minutes and Voila! *
- Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour into pans and bake about 1 hour or until *just set*. Don’t over bake, my family likes it softer in the center.