Another meat-less meal favorite in our house. The sauce gives the familiar Manwich-in-a-can taste we all remember growing up, but this version is more flavorful and far more nutritious!
I like to serve these on smaller dinner rolls for the kids, sometimes with a slice of provolone cheese. I’ll have mine over greens.
Lentil Sloppy Joes
- 2 c cooked lentils (yellow or red)
- 1 t olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red, green, orange, whatever.)
- 1/2 c ketchup (aim for one without corn syrup)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1 c water or broth
- 1 T Worchestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook lentils according to package instructions.
- In a large saute pan with sides or dutch oven heat oil over medium heat and add onions, carrots, pepper, and garlic. Saute until soft and fragrant.
- Stir in ketchup, water, oregano and Worchestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cooked lentils and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over greens, burger buns or split dinner rolls.