Prepping for a super-busy-Saturday I needed to have a dinner ready to go when we got home. It was a cold, windy November day and we had a few snow flakes.
My daughter LOVES meatballs and requested spaghetti and meat balls for dinner.
I was SHORT on time and looking for a quick fix I headed to 2 grocery stores looking for a frozen meat ball option that would save me time. All the meatballs I found had hydrolyzed or isolated soy protein!!! WHAT??? Meat balls are made of M-E-A-T, why do you need to add a chemically altered soy protein to it?
Disgusted, but determined to get my girl her meat balls, I grabbed a pound of organic ground turkey and a pound of grass-fed ground beef and headed home.
The recipe came together off the top of my head by grabbing ingredients I had in the pantry and refrigerator that I thought should go in a meatball. I used hemp seeds in place of bread crumbs, it’s what I had on hand! In all honesty, I’m amazed they came out so well! I know my way around the produce section – I can roast, saute, broil, grill and turn just about any vegetable in to a salad. But I’m not much of a beef-girl.
I needed these to cook QUICK! We had limited time between my early morning clients and the day-full of basket ball games started. Once assembled, the cooking is pretty hands free in the Instant Pot. I cooked on high pressure manual setting for 12 minutes, with 10 minute natural pressure release. Then switched the Instant Pot to slow cook mode and set on low for 6 hours.
The result was amazing! So flavorful! My daughter had them again for lunch the next day and took to school for lunch in a thermos today.
Instant Pot Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c shelled Hemp Seeds
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 t dry oregano
- 1 t dry basil
- 1 t onion powder
- 2 T crushed garlic
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 2 24 oz jars of tomato sauce or marinara
- ~2 c of water
- Combine all ingredients except for sauce and water. Form into ~2T balls.
- Pour sauce and water into Instant Pot. Set to HIGH Saute setting and bring to a boil.
- Gently lower the balls into the boiling sauce. Carefully stack to avoid crushing.
- Turn to Manual and place the lid on the Instant pot and seal. Manual, high pressure, cook for 12 minutes. Allow to naturally pressure release for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy or set to low slow cook until ready to serve.
- MADE 36 meat balls. AMAZE-BALLS!