Fried rice is an easy dish to clear out little bits of left over vegetables in your refrigerator. Toss in some cooked rice and protein from egg or left over meat and season with soy sauce and you have a complete meal in one pan!
Of course, I have to UP the veggie content and give it a fully plant-based spin!
Here’s my formula for Fried Rice – remember the goal is one pan complete meal.
Base: Rice, Riced cauliflower
Protein: ground or diced chicken, turkey or pork, scrambled egg, tofu or tempeh
Vegetables: think COLOR – this is your opportunity to bring visual appeal to the dish. Shredded carrot or broccoli, edamame, green peas, sliced snap or snow peas, even green onions.
Feel free to get creative and use what you have and like.
Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
- 2 cups cauliflower “rice”
- 1/2 broth
- 2 cups basmati or jasmine rice, cooked
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1 cup edamame
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 block Tempeh, diced
- 1 lb firm tofu, cubed
- 2 T soy sauce/aminos or soy alternative
- 2 t toasted sesame oil
- Heat avocado oil in a large pan at medium heat. Add tempeh and 1 T soy sauce. Cook stirring frequently to brown.
- Add tofu and stir to crumble and combine.
- Remove tofu and tempeh mix to a separate bowl.
- Add the cauliflower rice and broth to the pan. Stir to combine and cover. Cook to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Once cauliflower rice is cooked add the rice and vegetables. Stir to combine. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked tofu and tempeh. Add the remaining soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Serve with sriracha sauce if you want to heat it up!
I wanted a separate batch for me with out the Basmati rice – but they look and taste the same!