Taco Tuesday…but we’re having enchiladas!
I love the combo of black beans and sweet potato! So sweet, savory and satisfying! This recipe makes about 10 enchiladas. I divided into 2 pans to freeze one for a quick reheat dinner next week!
Truth be told, we’re mid COVID-19 quarantine and I am trying to stretch out grocery shopping trips so I pulled this recipe together to clean out the freezer.
- Frozen tortillas from when I over-bought a month ago.
- Beans from a large batch cooked in the instant pot.
- Frozen corn
- Frozen edamame
You could mix this up by adding ground turkey or bell peppers, jalapenos for heat…green chili enchilada sauce instead of red. Up to you.
** TIP** if using prepared, canned or jarred enchilada sauce, check the ingredients. Often hydrogenated oils, forms of MSG, corn syrup – blech!
Black bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- 2 c sweet potato, cubed
- 2 T avocado oil
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 2 c black beans
- 1/2 c edamame
- 1/2 c corn
- 1/2 c chopped sauteed spinach
- 1 c salsa
- 28 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 c Bean Based Cheese Sauce or 1/2 c shredded cheddar
- 1/2 c cooked rice
- 10 tortillas (can be wheat, corn or gluten free/rice based)
- Preheat oven to 400. Toss cubed sweet potato with 1T avocado oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Pour onto roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown.
- Make “bean based cheese sauce” if using.
- In large dutch oven heat 1 T avocado oil and beans and salsa.
- Add cooked sweet potato to the beans and roughly smash.
- Stir in vegetables, 1/2 c enchilada sauce, cheese sauce and cooked rice.
- Heat oven to 350. Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan or pans.
- Fill each tortilla with 1/2 c filling and roll. Place in pan seam side down. Top rolled enchiladas with remaining sauce.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Bake uncovered 10 minutes more. Let sit for 10 minutes prior to serving
Optional topping for the enchiladas.
- 1 large or 2 small avocados, mashed.
- 1 T lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 c water
- combine all ingredients and whisk to smooth.