This is a variation on my Chicken & Rice Burrito Bowl recipe. Quick and easy to throw together, easy to modify by adding chopped bell peppers or omitting the olives – adding fresh herbs like parsley or more heat with smoked paprika or chili flakes. Top with fresh parsley, Feta or Romano cheese.
To make ahead as a freezer meal toss ALL ingredients EXCEPT for broth into a zip-top freezer bag and freeze until ready to use. Defrost before cooking or add 3 min to Instant Pot cooking time or 1 hour when cooking in a slow cooker on high.
VEGETARIAN/VEGAN option: Swap out 2 cans (3 cups) of rinsed and drained chickpeas for the chicken. Be sure to use vegetable broth.
Greek Chicken & Rice
- 1 lb chicken (breast or thigh), cubed. OR 2 cans (3 cups) rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 T crushed garlic
- 1/2 c olives (whole or chopped)
- 1 c rice (I used jasmine), uncooked
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1/2 T dried oregano
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste (olives and tomatoes are usually salty – salt sparingly, I didn’t add any)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 1/2 c broth (chicken or vegetable)
- OPTIONAL: chopped bell pepper, chopped green beans, green olives
- TOPPINGS: feta cheese, Romano cheese, fresh parsley
- In Instant Pot on Saute setting heat olive oil on medium heat and add onion and garlic. Saute until soft and fragrant.
- Add seasonings and spices and heat until fragrant.
- Add chicken or chickpeas, stir to coat, cook 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Place lid and set to SEAL setting. Cook on MANUAL for 12 minutes, then Natural Pressure Release for 15 minutes. Vent remaining pressure and serve.
- FOR FREEZER MEAL: Dump defrosted bag into instant pot and add broth. Same cooking instructions. OOPS!!! Forgot to defrost! It’s ok – beauty of Instant Pot! Break it up so it fits in the pot. Add the broth, seal the lid and cook for 15 minutes, NPR 15 minutes. Ensure chicken is cooked through prior to serving.
- Serve: top with optional toppings listed above. I serve hearty comfort foods with fresh greens – Roasted Asparagus and a chopped salad for us!