Another cold day ending in 2 hours on the windy lacrosse field and I was SO grateful I’d thrown this cabbage soup together before we left for practice!
As many of you know, I don’t give myself labels : Vegetarian, Vegan, Pescatarian, etc. I’m more of a “Flexitarian” meaning that I listen to my body and eat what it needs. For years that has NOT been beef. But this is good beef – raised on my friend’s family farm and crazy lean, so great for the hubby and kids. Beef also gives great flavor to cabbage soup so I cooked it up and then removed it from the pan before adding the vegetables. This gave me the flexibility to make one meal that met all dietary needs.
** Look, it’s seriously just a handful of ingredients! That’s what I LOVE about soups! SOUP-ER simple! **
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 t garlic, diced
- 6 c green cabbage, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 5-6 c broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- top with 2 T chopped fresh parsley
- brown ground meat – remove from pan.
- Add olive oil and onion, cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add cabbage, carrots and celery and season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes and bay leaves.
- You can add the ground meat back to the soup or leave it out and add it to the bottom of the bowl when serving. This made 6 large servings.
- Top with chopped parsley.