It’s finally feeling like fall here in the DC area
& I’m LOVING it!
Fall calls for comforting foods – but if you have a busy family and would rather be outside – you need something quick! A meal that can be thrown together in 20 min or so and left to slow cook while the flavors develop and it get’s yummier!
This Sweet Potato and Turkey Chili is the answer! It can be made in a pot from start to finish, or started in a pan then transferred to a slow cooker, or, my preference – start to finish in the Instant Pot.
This is a complete meal in a bowl and my hubby and kids loved it! Nutrition details: packed with protein, fiber and vitamins. Gluten and dairy free as is. Vegan if made with chick peas in place of turkey and veggie broth. Can be topped with shredded cheese or served over spinach for extra veggies!
Sweet Potato and Turkey Chili
- 16 oz ground turkey (or beans for vegan)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 14 oz canned tomatoes in juice
- 16+ oz broth
- 1t Trader Joe’s Chili Lime seasoning or 1/2 t chili powder
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/4 t paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t salt (or more to taste)
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into 1/2″ dice
- Heat 1/2 T of the olive oil in a pan/pot or Instant Pot on Saute at medium heat. Add the ground turkey and break apart while cooking thoroughly.
- Remove the cooked turkey from the pan/pot. Add the other 1/2 T oil and the onions. Cook until translucent. Add the garlic. Cook 1 more minute. Stir in the tomatoes, 16 oz broth and spices.
- Transfer to crock pot if slow cooking or leave in the instant pot.
- Stir in the sweet potato. Slow cook for 4-6 hr on high – or until potato cooked through. In Instant Pot bring to a boil on HIGH saute setting, then cover and turn to HIGH slow cook 2 hours or until potatoes cooked through.
- This chili can cook all day and be even yummier. It can be made ahead, frozen and reheated. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Optional toppings – grated cheddar or feta cheese. You can serve in a bowl or over greens for even more VEGGIES!