I was making breakfast-for-dinner for the fam last night and I’m on a use-up-what-we-have-on-hand kick so I tried out this new oat and berry bake and it’s amazing. Oats, nuts, coconut in the pantry. Berries in the freezer, milk and eggs in the fridge – check!
I was slammed yesterday and didn’t eat lunch until 3pm so I wasn’t hungry when I had to leave for a meeting at 6:30. Just wanted to have dinner ready for the fam. But when I came back at almost 9 I totally ate this for dinner! Oops.
Oat & Berry Bake
(great out of the oven or cold next day – can double for a 9×13 dish)
- 1c nuts, roasted and chopped (I used almonds)
- 2 c oats
- 1 1/4 c unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1 t baking powder
- ¾ t salt
- ¼ t nutmeg
- 1 ¾ c milk
- 1/3 c maple syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 T melted butter
- 2 ½ c fruit (can be fresh or frozen, blueberries or mixed berries – I tossed in frozen berry blend and it was fine)
- Topping: coconut, berries, nuts
- Preheat oven to 375, grease 9×9 square pan, toast nuts.
- Combine dry ingredients (nuts, oats, coconut, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg) in a medium bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients (milk, maple syrup, eggs and butter) in a medium bowl.
- Reserve ½ c fruit and ¼ c nuts and ¼ c coconut for topping.
- Place berries in bottom of dish. Top with dry ingredients. Slowly pour wet ingredients over top and press down so all oats are covered.
- Top with berries, coconut and nuts.
- Bake 40- 45 minutes or until hot through and bubbling.
You can serve as is or with Greek yogurt.
I was in too much of a rush to snap a pic before I left. This is what it looked like after I got a hold of it!